Lentils are traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day in Italy to welcome prosperity in the coming year. The small round shape of the lentils is meant to represent coins. This warm lentil salad will bring you luck and wealth in the new year while providing you with a comforting, satisfying meal.
Besides bringing abundance, lentils are delicious and nutritious. They are low in fat and high in protein and fiber. They are a good substitute for meat if you are eating vegetarian. Lentils also offer calcium, iron, potassium and folate.
Don’t tempt fate this New Year. Serve this warm lentil salad to your family and benefit from all the goodness lentils have to offer.
Warm Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put the lentils, bay leaf, and water in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaf.
- While the lentils are simmering, sauté the onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- For the dressing, combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm lentils with the onion-carrot-garlic mixture. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve warm.