Sexy Olive Tapenade is one of our favorite Mediterranean-inspired appetizers. It only takes a few minutes to make, perfect for a hot day.
Tapenade is a traditional dish from the south of France, namely Provence. It consists mainly of olives, capers, and olive oil. In Italy they like to add anchovies.
Olives, garlic, olive oil, and anchovies are some of the healthiest foods you can eat. Putting them all together in one dish is delicious and so good for you body and soul. We add some hot red pepper flakes to add a little extra sexiness.
We buy a mix of olives we find in the supermarket called Sexy Olive Mix. We’ve also seen it in specialty Italian grocery stores. It’s a mix of Sicilian, Greek and Niçoise olives.
Some are large green, red and black olives. Some are small black and green olives. They are not sour and vinegary like olives you get in a jar.
We take a mix of them and cut off the meat. It makes a very colorful dish.
Sexy Olive Tapenade
- 10-12 meaty olives chopped small
- 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp capers chopped
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Cut the meat off of the olives and chop as small as possible. You can use a food processor or blender to make a paste. Because I'm using multi-colored olives I wanted to preserve the pretty colors, so I chopped instead.
- Put all of the ingredients together in a bowl and stir.
- Serve with bread, toast, bread sticks, crackers, or use as a sandwich topping.