We’re dreaming of Spring and experimenting with salads. When building a salad we like to have a lettuce base, some vegetables or fruit, a protein source, and added flavors. This salad with apples, white beans, and mackerel was made from ingredients we had on hand.
We started with a mixed spring lettuce blend, rinsed and drained. I sliced up a jazz apple, rinsed off a can of cannellini beans, and opened a tin of mackerel filets.
For dressing we sprinkled on some dried oregano, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Look for plenty of salad recipes coming your way as the weather gets warmer.
Salad With Apples, White Beans, and Mackerel
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tin mackerel in olive oil drained
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- On two plates, divide the salad greens. Arrange apple slices around the perimeter of each plate.
- In the center, spoon on the cannellini beans.
- Divide the mackerel between the two plates, and place on top of the beans, breaking up the filets.
- Sprinkle the plate with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and serve.