Don’t be intimidated by making hummus at home. It’s actually quite easy, and it comes out so creamy and delicious. It takes only a few minutes including making your own tahini. You can adapt the flavors to your liking. For this recipe I wanted the beautiful color of beets, and made Roasted Red Beet Hummus.
I make the tahini at the same time right in the food processor with the hummus. All you need is toasted sesame seeds, olive oil, a can of chickpeas, some garlic, a little lemon juice, salt, water, and whatever flavor you want to add, in this case of course, the beets.
Have fun experimenting.
I served this Roasted Red Beet Hummus with toasted pita chips.
Roasted Red Beet Hummus
- 1 red beet peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Peheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss the beets with a little olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.
- In a food processor, add the sesame seeds and process until they turn to a powder. They won't get completely smooth at this stage, but don't worry, they will get smoother when we add the other ingredients.
- Add the salt, and while the processor is spinning, slowly add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the chickpeas, beets, garlic, and lemon juice. Start the processor and while it is spinning, slowly add an additional 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the water, and process until smooth and creamy. The water will help it become smooth and fluffy.
- When serving, drizzle with a little olive oil.