This salad recipe has become my favorite meal. I make this at least once a week because it is so versatile. I call it my Riviera Salad. I imagine myself sitting poolside in the South of France enjoying this salad with an ice-cold glass of Prosecco in front of me. The warm sun is shining on the beautiful Mediterranean Sea in the distance.
I make this salad in three layers. The bottom layer is roasted potatoes. Sometimes I make rosemary potatoes, sometimes I make them a little spicy, sometime I keep them simple with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
The middle layer is a green salad made mostly of arugula and your choice of additional lettuces. I like to add cucumber slices, tomatoes, red onion, and perhaps some shredded carrots and radishes. Use a simple vinaigrette for the dressing.
On top I add my Mediterranean diet-friendly protein source. In the video below I made this salad with baked salmon on top. I’ve also made this salad with crab cakes, grilled shrimp, breaded chicken or veal cutlet. It works with many toppings.
Once you try this salad, you will want to make it over and over. I hope you enjoy my Riviera Salad!
For the Potatoes
- 1 large russet potato (peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the Salmon
- 2 4-ounce salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce (or your favorite lettuce) (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cucumber (sliced)
- 10 grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons red onion (chopped)
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Splash water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment and a shot of nonstick cooking spray.
- On one of the baking sheets add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the potatoes. Roll them around to coat them in the oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Put them in the oven to bake about 10 minutes before you add the salmon.
- On the second baking sheet, add the salmon and brush with olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Bake them in the oven along with the potatoes for about 20-30 minutes depending on the size and shape of your fish. The fish is ready when it is cooked through and flakes off easily with a fork.
- In the meantime, place your lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and onion in a salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl or a mason jar, combine the vinegar, olive oil, water, oregano, basil, parsley, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using), and mix well.
- To serve, place a layer of potatoes on a dinner plate. Add a generous helping of salad on top of the potatoes. Add the salmon on top of the salad. I usually reserve a small amount of the salad dressing to drizzle on top of the salmon.