You’ll often hear me say that the Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle of moderate indulgences. This pistachio cream sauce for pasta is a perfect example of what I mean. This rich sauce is made with heavy cream but it is only consumed in a small portion.
You don’t have to sacrifice any flavor or deny yourself any ingredients as long as you practice moderation in your portion sizes.
Enjoy this luscious pasta dish as a small plate or a primi course before your entree.
Pistachios are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, antioxidants and various nutrients, including vitamin B6 and potassium. Their health benefits may include a healthier gut, lower cholesterol and blood sugar, in addition to promoting weight loss and eye and blood vessel health.
This pistachio cream sauce for pasta is easy to make and can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.
Pistachio Cream Sauce for Pasta
- 1 cup pistachio nuts unsalted and shelled
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- parmesan or Romano cheese
- Put pistachios in food processor and blend to a chunky powder.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add onion, salt, and pepper, and cook until the onion starts to soften.
- Add pistachios and stir to blend together.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes.
- Lower heat, and add heavy cream a little at a time. Keep stirring until everything is blended. Cook for a couple of minutes until you see the cream start to change.
- Add al dente pasta and toss to combine. Add a little reserved pasta water if needed.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan or Romano cheese.