Sometimes after dinner I want a little sweetie. But when I’m trying to lose weight on the Mediterranean diet, I don’t want a big luscious dessert like gelato or tiramisu. An oatmeal raisin cookie or two really hits the spot.
These cookies are not diet cookies; they contain plenty of butter and sugar. However, they are made with whole grain oatmeal, and include the dried fruit of raisins.
Therefore, I pronounce them healthier than the average cookie.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Have a cookie or two with a lovely cup of tea when you are looking for a sweet snack or dessert.
When making these cookies, be sure that your butter is very soft. Otherwise, you’ll have a difficult time combining the ingredients. I used old-fashioned oats. You can use quick-cooking oats as well. But don’t use instant oats or you won’t get the same texture or the whole grain benefits.
The texture of these oatmeal raisin cookies comes out slightly crisp with a soft, chewy center. They are absolutely delicious.
Here’s the recipe for my oatmeal raisin cookies. Enjoy!
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, place butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until ingredients are creamed together and light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add flour mixture, and beat until a soft dough forms.
- Add oatmeal and raisins, and fold in by hand, until well combined.
- Take about a tablespoon of the cookie dough and drop it onto the baking sheet, leaving a little room for the cookies to spread. You should be able to fit about 15 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Continue until you use up all the cookie mixture. This recipe will make about 50 cookies.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.