I think every Mediterranean country has its own version of potatoes for breakfast. My Dad, who was Italian, used to make us potatoes and eggs. My Mediterranean-inspired breakfast recipe combines potatoes with chickpeas and greens with plenty of warm, earthy Moroccan spices.
In America we usually eat eggs for breakfast, so I’m topping this dish with my favorite, an over-easy egg.
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 cup red Swiss chard chopped
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh turmeric grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 8 oz chickpeas (half a can)
- 2 eggs
- Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. Boil in salted water until they soften. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, greens, onion, and spices and toss to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add potato mixture and let cook until the potatoes start to turn brown.
- Add chickpeas. Stir everything together. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook eggs over easy.
- Serve potato/chickpea mixture with 1 egg on top.