I’ve been craving a dairy-free potato salad recipe that doesn’t use vegan mayo, and this is what I came up with. My Mediterranean Potato Salad is dressed with a lemon thyme vinaigrette that gives this salad a zesty boost. It’s perfect for summer.
You can serve this at your summer picnics or enjoy as a side dish to fish. I recently served this with baked salmon and asparagus for a delightful spring supper.
Be sure to make it a few hours in advance so it has time to marinate in the refrigerator. The salad may look very wet when freshly tossed, but the potatoes will absorb the dressing as it sits. It’s a good idea to reserve a little of the vinaigrette for a touch-up before serving.
Mediterranean Potato Salad (vegan, no mayo)
- 4 medium potatoes (any kind)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 rib celery (diced)
- 1 scallion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 4 chives (chopped)
Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Pinches dried thyme
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Place them in a pot of salted water, and boil until just soft. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- In the meantime, chop all of the vegetables and herbs into tiny pieces.
- In a glass jar, put the zest of half a lemon, the juice of half a lemon, olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme. Seal tightly and shake to combine.
- Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss gently to combine. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.