We gave this classic Mexican snack a Mediterranean diet makeover. Our Mediterranean Nachos are sure to be a hit at your next gathering. They take only a few minutes to make, and are so delicious.
The original recipe for nachos was simply tortilla chips with melted cheddar cheese and jalapeños. Nachos have since exploded in popularity with dishes like Nachos Supreme getting really complicated. We’ve seen them with seasoned beef, pulled pork, buffalo chicken, even cheesesteak nachos.
We’re keeping them simple with Mediterranean diet-inspired ingredients. We started with organic blue chips, mainly for the color, but we also like the way they taste. We added back beans for some fiber and protein. We topped them with a mild Fontina cheese that melts easily, and sprinkled them with cherry peppers,
We served our Mediterranean Nachos with guacamole and our version of pico de gallo.
All three recipes are below, along with a video.
- 1 bag tortilla chips (we used organic blue chips)
- 9 oz Fontina cheese shredded
- 2 cherry peppers diced, seeds removed
- fresh basil for garnish
- 1 can black beans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Put the black beans in a pot and heat through.
- Arrange a single layer of tortilla chips on a baking sheet. We used a pizza try.
- With a slotted spoon, sprinkle the chips with black beans, careful not to get the juice on the chips.
- Sprinkle on cherry peppers to taste.
- Cover with shredded Fontina cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of chips, beans, peppers, and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for a few minutes, just until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Serve immediately.
- 2 avocados cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp onion diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 tsp fresh jalapeno diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and serve.
- Adjust the flavors to your taste.
Pico de Gallo
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno diced
- lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Adjust the salt, pepper, and jalapeno to your taste.
- Serve immediately.