An eggplant and lemon sandwich sounds odd, doesn’t it? But the flavors are surprisingly addictive. We made this sandwich up on a whim, and absolutely loved it. We’ve eaten it twice this week, and can’t wait to make it again.
This is a very easy recipe. We simply roasted eggplant and lemon slices in the oven with a little spice, and then built a sandwich on a crusty Italian baguette.
The mellowness of the eggplant balances out the bright, sour flavor of the lemon. The flavors work so well together.
We love cooking with lemons. They are so versatile. You can use the juice in drinks and sauces, the rind for flavoring, and now the slices in a sandwich.
Try adding a spread of ricotta cheese to your sandwich if you want to add some extra creaminess. The fun is in the experimentation.
Eggplant and Lemon Sandwich
- 1 eggplant
- 1 lemon
- olive oil extra virgin
- Italian dried herb blend
- 1 baguette
- Slice eggplant and lemon into thin rounds. Arrange on a baking sheet covered in parchment.
- Coat eggplant and lemon with olive oil.
- Sprinkle on herb blend and salt.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven and the thickness of your slices.
- Arrange eggplant and lemon slices on baguette. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve.