Chickpea Salad makes a tasty sandwich filler that is healthy and super easy to make. Chickpea salad is perfect for when you want an alternative to tuna salad or chicken salad.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, grow in pods and are classified as a legume. They are one of the earliest known cultivated vegetables.
Packed with nutrition, chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, fiber, Vitamins B6, A, C, E, folate, magnesium, potassium, iron, and more. They are very versatile in recipes, and are filling.
Let’s build a sandwich with my chickpea salad recipe.
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayo)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cherry pepper spread
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Put half into a food processor and reserve the other half for later.
- Process the chickpeas to a chunky paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining whole chickpeas. Add the scallion and celery.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add to the chickpeas.
- Add the cherry peppers and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir to combine.