Peaches are at the height of their flavor in June and July. Our area of southern New Jersey is known as peach country. They are plentiful at our farm markets. You see peach trees everywhere as you drive around the neighborhood. We picked up loads of white and yellow peaches and came up with this caramelized peach salad.
Peaches are low in calories, packed with minerals, and are a good source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
They are also a delicious, juicy treat.
Caramelized Peach Salad
- 2-3 peaches
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-3 cups salad greens
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- handful walnuts
- carrot slivers
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp feta cheese
- Remove the skin from the peaches. Quarter the peaches and discard the stone.
- Put the peaches in a mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the peaches and stir to coat them in the sauce.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the peaches coated.
- Toss lettuce, onion, walnuts, carrot, and pumpkin seeds in a small amount of vinaigrette.
- Arrange salad on a plate. Top with peaches and crumbled feta.